Monday, February 28, 2005

A glimpse into idiosyncratic lunacy

I just finished watching “Saw”, one in a long line of recent movies that have given force to resuscitating the dying horror genre. While watching the movie I became keenly aware of one of my most debilitating phobias. I am genuinely afraid of wooden puppets and ventriloquist dummies.

Without delving too much into the plot there was this part where a freaky assed wooden puppet rode a tricycle across the screen. For the first time since I watched “The Exorcist” when I was twelve a scene in a movie genuinely frightened the bejesus out of me and I had to avert my eyes until the weird little marionette passed.

When I was a kid, maybe 12, I watched a movie wherein this demonic wooden ventriloquist dummy with a black tux and top hat took over the mind of its unsuspecting owner. To this day I don’t know why that flick scared me but it did. And I’m comfortable with that.

So please, for your own safety, stay away from the puppets. They’ll get you.